Wednesday, June 9, 2010

reading list: summer '10

I have this problem where I can't help buying discounted books that look really interesting. It's a combination of wanting to read everything, having a secret hope of one day possessing a library with tall rolling ladders and padded leather armchairs to contrast with all my tattered paperback SF, not having all that much disposable income but feeling like it's okay to spend a little if I'm getting a deal, and thinking of discounted books like they're discounted puppies -- oh they are so cute I know I can't save all of them but can't I take just a few?? Books need love too.

Which is how I end up like this:

My reading list. Holding me hostage.

But of course, that's not enough books. I'm also embroiled in no less than 4 pop urban (or, in one case, rural) fantasy series, which I alternately beg from the library, borrow from friends, or order from the UK 'cause it takes how long?? for them to be published here and I need them sooner than that.

So, yes. In addition to the books pictured above and a few stray issues of comics that I at some point purchased and promptly forgot about, I've also got on my list: Turn Coat, from the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher (who, in addition to the great humor he's always given the series, learns to write by the fifth or sixth book, and is a rare SF author who doesn't look down on geeks 'cause he is one), The Naming of the Beasts, from the Felix Castor series by Mike Carey (much grittier wizard noir than the Dresden series, reviewed here), and The Lunatic Café, from the Anita Blake series by Laurell K. Hamilton (don't judge me, I like vampire pr0n and earning the right to be indignant about poor writing). Usually there'd also be a book from the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris on that list, but I just this past Saturday read Dead in the Family, and the next one hasn't been announced yet. (Harris is the Paula Dean of modern fantasy -- an unabashedly Southern-voiced & pervy-minded purveyor of things you know are bad for you that you'll devour anyway.)

Um, also? Every time I read an issue of Publishers Weekly (i.e., once a week), I'm moved to add a few new or old books to my Amazon booklist.

What I'm actually reading right now is... well, I'm between books, so technically nothing. But my copy of The Man with the Knives by Ellen Kushner just came in last week, so I think I'm gonna go for that.

So! What're you reading right now -- and do you have a backlog of books? Also, because I'm a reading-list masochist, you should give me recommendations for anything you think I'd dig.

11 comments:

Thomas said...

The Last Samurai, by Helen Dewitt (in no way related to the Tom Cruise movie).

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Samurai-Helen-Witt/dp/0786887001/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top#noop

A yearly reread for me. Absolutly beautiful, hilarious and hearbreaking. I can loan yo my copy if you like.

Lauren V. said...

That would be rad! Just bring it the next time we hang out/you remember. Though I can't promise I'll return it in a super timely fashion.

Mimi the Bee said...

Right now, my handbag is weighted down with Octavia Butler's Fledgling and Justin Cronin's The Passage. My neck and shoulders will never be the same after carrying all this weight, but I can't bear to leave them behind.

Unknown said...

Christopher Moore is funny and uses words like fucktard. And, I may have mentioned it, The Gemma Doyle trilogy.

Lauren V. said...

@Mimi I've started buying purses with large enough cargo and sturdy enough straps to support my book habit. I haven't read either of those, but lemme know how you like them!

@Summer I STILL haven't read any Christopher Moore books. I should add "Fool" to my shortlist. And I started the first Gemma Doyle book a few years ago, but never finished it. Maybe I should give it another shot! (If you happen to have copies to lend, that'd be rad....)

Thomas said...

Christopher Moore's "Lamb" is one of my top 5 books of all time.

Melissa said...

I have "Fool" when you come up for air. Will exchange for a Dresden book or Felix Castor. Meet me in the ally behind the nearest 7-11 when ready.

Summer said...

I have Moore's 'A Dirty Job' which I can bring you. And, you can borrow Gemma but I will ask for it back. Read it 3 times already!

Lauren V. said...

@Summer Oh I definitely always return books. Erm, eventually. I keep them in safe care while they're waiting for me to get to them! Any books you think I'd dig I will totally take & keep safe.

@Mel Felix is ready for you! It was a good one. I'm not allowed to order the next one until I make some headway in my pile of borrowed books, though.

Summer said...

How's about mystery / crime genre? I have lots of Laura Lippman also.

Lauren V. said...

I actually haven't read much mystery/crime that doesn't involve magic/dragons/vampires/etc. Is Laura Lippman awesome? What kind of mysteries does she write?